Saturday, May 16, 2009

When January looks more like June: A Letter....

To quote  blog i posted on here early last year...

 "It seems like there's a cycle that creeps up on me each year. October always sets the scene, November's always got me singing December's love song, and January always brings some beautiful twist to kick me in the teeth."

Ok so i was wrong. Of course You wouldn't have told me that though... Or maybe it's not that You didn't tell me so much as i couldn't understand. Your word tells a story of how You spoke to Your people...

"Then a voice came out of heaven, "I have both glorified it, and i will glorify it again." So the crowd who stood there was saying it was thunder. Others said and Angel had spoken to Him. Jesus spoke and said, "This voice was not for my sake but for your sakes."
-John 12:28

Some heard thunder... hmmmm. When i think about one crowd of people hearing the same voice so differently it makes me realize that, just like so many of those people, i just hadn't been prepared to hear Your voice. And the thunder ringing in my ears for the past year has been driving me crazy. So i waited for January to come again with it's "beautiful twist" and was disappointed when it didn't. You spoke then and all i heard was noise...

CRASH CRASH CRASH CRASH

I can see now that it's ridiculous to assign Your seasons for us to silly names likes Months that we've put on time when time means nothing to You. Sometimes January looks more like May, or June. And now that my heart is prepared to hear what You have to speak into it the crash sounds so much less like a warning and so much more like direction. Prepare our hearts and awaken them to to hear Your voice. I can't imagine wasting more time pushing through chaotic sounds, when it's no one's fault but my own. 

So thank You for seasons, even if they don't come along when i expected them on my schedule. Thank You for January and June. And i promise i'll do my best to not mess this up like i did the last time. 

Thanks for Your patience with me.
-DG

No comments: