Monday, November 17, 2008

The Knife

I've had these nights before, I've been redeemed
In the eyes of a girl who smelled just as sweet
And if you could tell me, tell me the secret to make a man strong
I'd forgive the debt and like a soldier from war, find my way home

And I've been betrayed by a kiss but not like you
In the image of love i gave into truth
And if you could tell me, tell me the secret to not fall like this
I'd hold my head high and i'd find the strength to lead her again

Fear in my chest, grace on my lips
I'll find the strength to lead her again
I've had these night before, but i was redeemed

I've felt the lights that burn when they've gone
And i've sung my secrets to these rooms before
If you could tell me that just one was changed I'd move on
And sing something new about how it's all old and nothing is wrong

Heartache and love are but the width of a blade
Both stab and scar to remind you of pain
I'd like to tell you, tell you the secret to finding the one
But i'm just as lost as the man with his eyes fixed on he sun

I felt the knife break my skin
dressed up the wound, and started again
I've had these night before, and i was redeemed
I've had these nights before, but i've been redeemed

*let it be known that Lauren Stapely directly contributed by letting me steal one of her poetically genius lines for this song*

No comments: